A very, very unexpected charm...
I booked us a night in Albany mostly because it's located between Tanglewood and Cooperstown and I couldn't find any decent place in either of those towns (Lenox has great places but they start at $695/nt!). But the whole time I was thinking "WHAT are we going to do in Albany?" Everything I read said there wasn't much going on and even chowhounds.com has almost no posts of good places to eat. So I figured we'd get in late, grab a bite to eat, and be off to Cooperstown in the morning. Well, we ended up having such a good time in Albany that we never quite made it to Cooperstown. We stayed in the Center Square neighborhood which is surprise surpise the "Center Square" in front of the State House. Very historical and architecturally diverse townhomes....reminiscent of our dear Cathedral Hill. After enjoying a brew and the most delicious burger outside a little bar hosting a live jazz session, we walked through the neighborhood, shocked at how cheap apartments were - a 2 bedroom beautifully restored townhouse - $1150 a month - AHHHHH@#$#!@(*$(^*(@^^&$(#). So, great architecture, fun places to dine, all very walkable....perfect for a one-night stay)....(notice I am avoiding any mention of politics whatsoever - it's fun to be ignorant). Tomorrow we are off to Newport for sailing and the beach and more historical intrigue....
Monday, July 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment