Thursday, August 02, 2007

A nurse who changes lives....my mom!

I'm so proud of my dear mother! This article is a great testament to her ability to care for others in an honest and meaningful way. Plus you have to love the title of the article! Should we all be so lucky to positively impact people such as she has....

Diabetes, denial, heavy drinking - something had to change
BY RHODA FUKUSHIMA
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 07/27/2007 04:40:43 PM CDT

St. Paul native Rick Sorensen was diagnosed with diabetes in 1972, when he was 17. He figured he wouldn't live long, so he decided to live recklessly, partying hard through his teens, 20s and 30s. He didn't manage his diabetes well. He didn't take his insulin shots on time. He ate foods that sent his blood sugar levels all over the map. He drank. And drank.

"I would drink a 12-pack of beer or a half-quart of booze. My thinking (was) I'll die before the complications set in. I was in denial.

"The complications set in. About five years ago, I lost most of my eyesight. I have Raynaud's Syndrome (numbness in my fingers and feet). I've had congestive heart failure. I have slow function in my kidneys. I have chronic fatigue. I've had frostbite and lost six toes (he's more susceptible because of poor circulation). There's arthritic factors that are probably related to the complications.

"In June 2003, I joined the Wilder Foundation's assisted-living program. It may sound corny, but this nurse (Barb Breva) changed my life.

"I was taking insulin but not having balance with my blood sugars. She asked if I was drinking alcohol. I told her I had a bottle of vodka in the refrigerator. She said to get rid of it. She told me if I wanted to stay in the program, it was a requirement. She was delivering an ultimatum, but it wasn't harsh. She was leaving the decision to me.

"Over the years, lots of people had tried to get me to give up drinking. I had been in treatment, Alcoholics Anonymous, 12-step groups. None of it worked. But Barb was so warm and genuine. Her approach was right for me.
"I didn't want to lose the program. It gave me the opportunity to make myself better. And I grabbed it.

"I dropped the alcohol. My blood sugars stabilized. My attitude changed real quick from 'I'm addicted to alcohol and I have to drink' to 'I've got better things in life.' It was as simple as that.

"I am legally blind, but I decided I could still walk around. I had used a white cane, but I don't anymore. I began walking and working out. I have more energy.

"I needed to find a way to relax at night. I had used alcohol as a tranquilizer. I now take quiet personal time. I focus on one thing. It's like a meditation.

"I'm a graphic artist and photographer. My photography is a method for me to see. I go places, take pictures, come home and look at the details. I blow it up. It's high-resolution. I can keep zooming in. Computer technology is a marvelous tool for me to see and create.

"My home health-care nurse encouraged me to go to a HealthEast leaders training program for the chronic condition self-management program. It taught me so much. It gave me confidence to stand up in front of people to relate thoughts, feelings, ideas. It was enriching.

"Now, I've got purpose. I have places to go, things to do. I set up my schedule so I don't sit home for more than two days. I take the bus or a friend picks me up. We have a mission."

For more Turning Points, go to www.twincities.com/health.

No comments: