Saturday, July 08, 2006

Here's what Bob is reading...

What are you reading?? Lance and I highly recommend Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It's a can't-put-it-down story set in the world of early twentieth century traveling circuses. Also, if you like short stories, check out anything by Lorrie Moore. She's a college English professor in Wisconsin and quietly publishes truly good stories, particularly Who Will Run the Frog Hospital.

On TV, Lance and I enjoyed watching Anthony Bourdain's Travel Channel show No Reservations, where he travels to places such as Indonesia seeking cultural food experiences. Learning about food is a great way to attempt to understand a culture and in this discovery, he encounters entertaining stories and characters, and pairs it up with amazing photography and witty honest commentary. I haven't read any of his books, and he can be terrificly arrogant, but honestly, this is the best travel show I've seen in a very long time (even better than Ian on Globetrekker!). Here's the link to video clips of the show: http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/bourdain/videogallery/videogallery.html

Oh, and no, this isn't a staged photo; this is just how Bob fell asleep. He had a big trip to the vet this morning and was a complete star. He enjoys going to the vet because he absolutely loves meeting people and going on adventures. He made himself at home on the receptionist's desk and found the scale to be a comfortable bed. This is one laid-back cat...

3 comments:

Jerry the Librarian said...

I am reading two books at the moment. First, I am still burning through the Tony Valentine Mystery series by James McSwain, I am up to Mr. Lucky. These are fast paced and scam filled, what else do want from a mystery. I am also trying to get through the One Percent Doctrine by Ron Suskind. A sad and deflating examination of the Bush Administration's reaction to 9/11- worth a look. Thats all for now.

Trikiwoo said...

Borrow Water for Elephants from Dad. Good story, quick read...

Anonymous said...

Really? Everything Changes? I just finished reading that about 2 weeks ago (because it had been on sale at Target) -- and found it to be interesting (B or B+) in how he chronicles relationships through spoken interactions with characters and through everything the main guy chooses to think BUT NOT SAY.

It reminded me a little of you Lants after Matt's death. Re-evaluating and making tough decisions. Plus I really enjoyed seeing into the male psyche.